So this is my first post. Feels a bit weird as this is also my first blog as I didn't see a need to do one before this, (Never did anything interesting to warrant a blog really) so here goes!
Firstly, quick background I'm studying human rights and international law in the Danish city of Copenhagen (Also known as the Merchants Harbour thus the reason for the blog called 'Odyssey to the Merchants Habour'). I arrived on 2nd January 2010 from London after spending NYE with my family.
What are my first impressions of Copenhagen - its cold. This morning (3/01/10) it was -11 but sunny outside. It’s really freaking me out seeing the sun out but having it soooo cold outside. Other impressions are that everything is very ordered. Such as, you must obey the little red man when crossing the road as J walking is really frowned upon. Also there is a very Russian look and feel about Copenhagen. This might just be because all the buildings are covered with snow but a lot of buildings are spiral at the top and does give off a very Russian vibe. On top of this because of the cold there are a lot of people wearing Russian fur style hats.
Also something really cool happened to me today. I was on my way to visit my student accommodation just to check it out and get my bearings of where everything would be. So I caught the train to Norrebro Station which is near to my student accommodation. Whilst on the train I was just looking out the window thinking how bloody cold it was as the snow covered houses whizzed by. Then behind me I heard someone saying that they would be on Manly Beach if they were at home. I then thought, "Hang on that's what I would be doing if I was at home." (FYI probably more Freshie though) I then spun round and said to the 2 girls behind me, "Are you from Australia?" One replied yes and then I just got talking with her and her Danish friend.
We then all got off at the same stop, Norrebro, and then I enquired to where they were going. Would you believe they were going to Church. (Let me say at this point that Denmark has the lowest Christian population in the world and as many of you are probably aware I have been a little apprehensive of Copenhagen because of this fact. Also though today was Sunday I had no intention of going to Church as it was only my second day in Copenhagen and thought I would leave this to next week. I thought it would be more important to get my bearings and see a bit of Copenhagen than going to Malmö C3 which is over 1hr away from Copenhagen in Sweden)
I then asked if it was ok if I join them. They said that was fine (Obviously). The church they I went to was all in Danish, naturally, but it turned out to be a similar type of church as Lane Cove C3 back home. We even sang some of the same songs that I sing in Church back in Sydney. As it turned out probably even more amazing is that the church is 5 mins walk from my student accommodation. Also would you believe that the Aussie is actually over here to start up a Church in Copenhagen. So an absolutely surreal experience. 2nd day in Copenhagen, 1st full day in Copenhagen and I meet 1 Aussie Christian girl and 1 Danish Christian girl.
Tomorrow I start my 3 week intensive Danish language course at the uni. Also I have to move into my student apartment. Going to be a really busy but interesting day. Can't wait to see where God is going to lead me. Really exciting times.
I hope everyone has a fantastic year and I'll try and keep you all updated as much as possible on my antics in Copenhagen and maybe put some pics up in the next entry.
Thinking of you all. Take it easy.
Jono
Sunday, January 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No way! Freakin' awesome! That's so cool! Do you think you'll continue going to that church? What's Danish like? Is it similar to German at all?
ReplyDeleteWhat's your student accommodation like? Photos of everything, please!
Awesome!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you're having a great start!
<3
Paul Y.
I'm so glad! Great to hear brother!
ReplyDeleteAll thanks, praise and glory be to God!
I hope and pray that God continues to bless, grow, keep and use you powerfully.
He is always working out His awesome plan of salvation in and through you and those around you.
Stay strong bro. God has you in His hand.
Nick C
love how the big cheese works :)
ReplyDeletekeepin you in prayers my man, God bless and who knows maybe find a wife!
lol